When coming into our office, patients are often surprised when we tell them that their fillings need to be replaced. If you had fillings when you were younger, chances are that they may need to be redone one day due to time, use, and personal habits.
The life span of the filling depends on several factors, including:
- The material initially used
- The patient’s oral health habits
- The methods used by the dentist during the first procedure
- The patient’s diet (sugar-dense diets are more prone to filling failure)
- The location of the tooth (posterior fillings are subjected to more stress)
After we replace fillings, patients often ask what can be done to protect them this time around. Here’s some advice to care for your fillings.
Six Ways To Prolong the Duration of Your Fillings:
- Avoid sugary foods and soft drinks.
- Brush at least twice per day.
- Use fluoride toothpaste.
- Avoid biting or chewing on hard foods
- Visit our office regularly for check-ups
- Let us know if you grind your teeth.
If you are concerned about any of your existing fillings, schedule an appointment and we would be happy to take a look.
Ramy Bahu DDS