We often talk about the importance of maintaining good oral hygiene to ensure that your mouth is healthy. Below are some tips on how to create the right routine to maintain your beautiful teeth.
Whether you’re looking for something with a specific taste, whitening agents or to help with sensitivity, rest assured that most of the toothpastes available are effective in fighting cavities. Make sure you choose a product that also contains fluoride (not all of them do) because this will help prevent enamel decay.
Thoroughly brush your teeth at least twice a day for about two minutes at a time. Also be sure to brush at night before bed. Follow these techniques for the best brushing results:
- The bristles of the toothbrush should be at a 45-degree angle against the gums
- Move the brush back and forth in short strokes
- Make sure to brush the outer, inner and chewing surface of all teeth
- Brush your tongue to remove bacteria
- If using a manual brush, look for one with a small head and medium or soft bristles
- If you are using an electric brush, choose one with an oscillating or rotating head
Your brushing technique is more important than the type of brush you use, but in some cases a specific type of brush may suit your teeth better than others.
It’s important to floss once a day so be sure to make it part of your oral hygiene routine. Remember that flossing isn’t simply about removing stubborn food debris, but that it is important for removing plaque between teeth where a brush can’t reach. Proper flossing technique includes:
- Using a floss length of about 18 inches
- Using a gentle rubbing motion slowly moving up and down
- Curving the floss in a c shape around the tooth and gently sliding it between the gum and tooth
Taking care of your teeth and gums on a daily basis will make a huge impact on your oral health. In addition to your own personal routine, getting professional cleanings and check-ups twice a year is necessary. Call Dr. Ramy Bahu today at 312-943-6444 or book an appointment online for your next cleaning or check-up!