Good eating habits aren’t just important to your physical health, but they are also important to your dental health.
Here are 4 healthy foods that will promote your beautiful smile:
- Dairy: Low-fat milk, cheeses and yogurts are high in calcium and protein which are necessary for strong teeth.
- Lean Proteins: Red meats should be eaten in moderation. Opt for healthier proteins such as poultry, fish, and eggs which have an abundance of phosphorus that is essential for your teeth.
- Fruits and Vegetables: Foods high in fiber are beneficial to your teeth. Some of the easiest ways to include fiber in your diet is to eat fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables help saliva production, which allows your mouth to clean away harmful acids and particles from your teeth.
- Nuts: Nuts are a healthy choice because they are high in protein and minerals, but low in carbohydrates. Carbs increase the acid-producing bacteria in your mouth that lead to cavities.
Limit or eliminate the following 3 foods in your diet:
- Candies: Sugar is very damaging to your teeth. Candies have a very high consistency of sugar and they should be avoided.
- Citrus: Although, fruits should be a part of your daily nutrition, citrus fruits are very high in acid which can cause enamel erosion.
- Crunchy Foods: Crunchy foods such as popcorn and potato chips are filled with starchy particles that can easily get trapped between your teeth.
If you have questions about your eating habits and if they are affecting your dental health, give us a visit today! You can reach us at 312.943.6444 or contact us here.
Dr. Ramy Bahu